Consumption Habit and Food Sources in Haramaya District, Ethiopia

Food habit; Food sources; Food type; Food diversification; Haramaya district


  • Daniel Alemu
    Institute of Technology, Food Technology and Process Engineering, Ethiopia
  • Anbesse Girma nstitute of Technology, Food Science and Postharvest Technology, Ethiopia
November 22, 2019


Haramaya is among the localities that considered as food insecure and poor consumption habit. The study was intended to investigate consumption habits and food patterns of Haramaya District. Data on available raw materials of food sources and the habit of consumption in four kebeles were collected. The result described that Sorghum and Maize are main cereal grains abandoned in the area and of total accessible cereals in the area, 65.6% of them are obtained from subsistent farming of own-land production and the remaining, 34.4%, from the market. Injera, Shumo, Genfo, Kita, Wot and Kolo are the main foods for consumption prepared from cereal grains. Among the legumes and pulses, Pea, Common Bean and Chickpea are the key food sources, but the majority (54.2%) consume rarely. Similarly, though a high quantity of fruit and vegetables are available, household consumption is not adequate and the same for meat and dairy products. Though sufficient distribution and availability of food sources exists, consumption habit is unbalanced due to poor diversified foods. The households entirely depend on cereal grains with minimal consumption of other food sources. Therefore, balanced food preparation and consumption education programs are needed to create awareness on diversified eating habit and its benefit. Hence, dissemination of proper food preparation, good eating habit and nutrition concepts within the community is vital.